Web hosting is a must-have when it comes to your website. And, of course, you want the best hosting provider out there.
But with so many options, how do you know which one is right for you?
We can’t speak for the other guys, but we can tell you all about what to expect from InMotion Hosting. (And we’ll let you in on a little secret – we think we offer the best service out there!)
In this guide, we’re going to go over what a web host is, what you should look for in a hosting service, and what to expect from InMotion.
Here’s what you need to know:
What is a hosting service?
First, the basics. A web host is a company that provides the technology and services necessary for a website to be viewed on the internet: operating system, software, apps and more. Websites are hosted, or stored, on special computers called servers. If you don’t already have a domain name (the other necessary element in creating a website), your hosting company will typically help you obtain one.
These days, there are dozens of options available on the market and it can be difficult to know which one to choose. When it comes to choosing the best website hosting, it all comes down to the specific needs of your business.
What are the different types of web hosting?
There are four main types of web hosting. Some companies specialize in just one type, while other companies might offer all four. They are:
- Shared hosting: Shared hosting is when one physical server is shared between hundreds, or even thousands, of different websites. All resources, such as bandwidth and RAM, are communal – but they’re not necessarily divvied up evenly.
- Dedicated server: On the opposite end of the spectrum is dedicated hosting. This is when an entire physical machine is dedicated exclusively to your business and its website (or websites). All of the resources are yours and no one else can access them. The server is highly customizable, secure, and reliable.
- VPS hosting: VPS is usually considered a happy middle ground between shared hosting and dedicated hosting. It offers a guaranteed allotment of resources within a shared environment.
- Cloud hosting: Very similar to shared hosting, but with greater resources and more speed. Rather than sharing one physical server, users share a huge bank of servers located in many different physical locations.
What features should you look for?
No matter where you go shopping for a web host, there are certain minimum standards you should look for. These include:
- Uptime: Many hosting providers today guarantee 99.9% or even 100% uptime and anything less than 99.5% is considered unacceptable. Why? Because downtime means money lost. At InMotion Hosting, we have a reputation for consistently hitting our 99.9% uptime guarantee – and we even maintain a page where you can view real-time reports on network and server status.
- Bandwidth: Bandwidth refers to the level of traffic and data allowed to travel between your site, users, and the internet. The more visitors you have coming to your website, the more data you will require. If you run a popular website, or you expect to have a large amount of traffic in the future, make sure your hosting provider can support a site like yours.
- Support: Does the hosting provider have 24/7 live customer support? Or will you need to wait a week for an email response when you have a problem or concern? We’ve always put customer service front and center because we know how important it is to our customers. And we’re one of the only providers that offer US-based support via phone, chat, email, or Skype.
- Scalability: As your business grows, your website likely will as well. It’s important to know that as your needs change, your hosting service will be able to grow with you and expand as needed. In addition, you want your website to be able to handle temporary spikes in traffic – something that may not require a whole new plan, but just a temporary upgrade.
- Website builder: If you want to create a website, especially if it’s your first, a website builder will make the process a million times easier. Today, many hosting providers include a complimentary builder as part of your plan. InMotion hosting includes BoldGrid, a true WYSIWYG website builder that operates on the WordPress platform, with all hosting plans.
Why InMotion Hosting?
InMotion is one of the largest independent web hosting companies in the world. Still, we understand what small businesses want and need, because we started out as a small business ourselves.
We’re so sure of the quality of our services, that we offer a 90-day money-back guarantee. If for any reason you’re not happy with your web hosting plan, you can leave – no questions asked. Can you think of any other major web hosting service that can say that?